- Verlag: Photographie Gabler, Interlaken
- Verlag Phot. Gabler, Interlaken
- Verlag von Photographie Gabler, Interlaken.
- Photographie Gabler, Interlaken
- PHOTOGRAPHIE GABLER, INTERLAKEN
- Photographie R. Gabler, Interlaken.
Johann Adam Gabler, (25 March 1833 to 19 May 1888). In 1861, German-born Gabler moved to Switzerland, initially as a carriage maker but two years later he was working in photography. He worked as a photographer in the Emmental valley (1864 and 1866-1869) and in the Bernese Oberland. In 1870, Gabler built a house with a photographic studio in Interlaken, where the tourism industry began to flourish and where he produced photo panoramas, landscape photographs, cartes-de-visite, stereotypes and studio portraits of folkloric types of the Bernese Oberland. His successors built up this branch of business and founded a publishing house that distributed postcards. Gabler operated his business as a hiking photographer with the production of personal photographs. Unlike his competitors, he advertised the possibility of re-ordering. Many of his approximately 10,000 photographs have the character of romantic travel souvenirs. He won recognition in the 1873 World Exhibition in Vienna. He founded the Swiss Photographic Association (SPhV) (1886-1899). After his death in 1888, his son from his first marriage, Arthur, and his second wife, Rosina, took over the business. Photographie R. & A. Gabler was very successful though, after 1905, Rosina Gabler continued the business without Arthur as Photographie R. Gabler. With the collapse of tourism in WWI the business declined and it came to an end with the death of Rosina Gabler in 1921. Arthur died in 1927.
Some of Gabler’s negatives are among the earliest iodine collodion plates produced in Switzerland.
Vincenzo Galea di Antonio
- Vincenzo Galea – Malta
Vincenzo Galea di Antonio, haberdasher, Valetta is listed as a store in Valetta importing buttons in US Special Consular Reports published in 1915.
Galea di Antonio published local topographicals some of which at least he commissioned from H Weickert & Enke of Leipzig.
Further Reading: Maltese Picture Postcards The Definitive Catalogue Anthony J Abela Medici
Gale & Polden, London
- Military Mail and Volunteer Review
- Photo Gale & Polden Ld
Gale & Polden, military printer and publisher, Aldershot. In 1866, James Gale, a printer by trade, opened a book and stationery business in Old Brompton, part of the Chatham Garrison. He subsequently acquired a printing press and became an Army printer. In 1884, Gale entered into partnership with Thomas Ernest Polden, a former staff apprentice. The following year, the firm built and moved to Brompton Works to cope with ever-increasing business. In 1892, the partners opened a London office, incorporated the firm and made the decision to move the business to Aldershot in 1893. A period of expansion followed, and the scene was set for the next 45 years.
In 1901 the company founded the Military Mail a weekly penny journal that claimed the biggest circulation of any military paper in the world. The same year, picture postcard production began. Amongst a huge range, Military Mail & Volunteer Review front pages from 1902 and 1903 featured.
Gale and Polden were renowned for the publication of many of the British Army Training Manuals, Military Histories and Military Forms from 1893, throughout the Great War and Second World War, up to 1981. It was then taken over by Robert Maxwell and his Maxwell Communications, which collapsed, the following year with Maxwell’s death. This left many former Gale and Polden workers without pensions.
Galileo, Milan, Italy
- STAB* GALILEO MILANO
Galileo Graphic Arts Factory, 24 via Solferino, Milan. Paolo Porati trained in lithography and was a partner for the lithographic part of the leading Milanese firm Francesco Maliardi before founding the Galileo Works which became important under his ownership. In January 1902 Modern Construction (L’ Edilizia Moderna), a Monthly Magazine of Architecture and Construction Practice which was printed by Galileo recorded Porati’s death: Even during the time of his illness, he dedicated special care and interest to our magazine.
Galileo advertised postcards and printed undivided-backs for A Guarneri (above) featuring city shields and Lombardy topographicals. He printed cards of cartoons of children with chamberpots for Sigmund Kemeny of Zurich.
*stabilimento – factory, works
Not to be confused with: Officine Galileo, optical manufacturers who opened a factory in Milan in 1928.
Giovanni Galletti, Florence, Italy
- Ediz. Giovanni Galletti – Via Calzaioli – Firenze
Giovanni Galletti, Via Calzaioli, Florence near the Duomo published reproductions of art work in that city’s churches and galleries.
C. Galli, Franco & Company, Montevideo, Uruguay
- Editores: C. Galli, Franco & Cia, Montevideo
In the Commercial Directory of the American Republics: Comprising the Manufacturers, Merchants, Shippers, and Banks and Bankers Engaged in Foreign Trade; Together with the Names of Officials, Maps, Commercial Statistics, Industrial Data, and Other Information Concerning the Countries of the International Union of American Republics, the American Colonies, and Hawaii for 1898 G Galli & Company were listed as paper importers and manufacturers and type importers at 312 Calle 25 de Mayo, Montevideo.
C. Galli, Franco & Company, publishers, Montevideo, published A Graduated series of reading books by Vázquez Acevedo in 1899 which was Approved by the National Council of Education. They also produced a map of Uruguay which it advertised in the Red & White journal in December 1900.
A book of their postcards between 1898 and 1906 by Marcelo Loeb was published in 2003 and included cards by the Galli Papeleria.
William Gammie, Turriff, Scotland
- Gammie, Photo
William Gammie set up a commercial photographic studio in 1898 at 15 High Street, Turriff, Aberdeenshire where he had a newsagent’s business. He published photographs of the area surrounding Turriff as postcards, and was also a portrait photographer.
Over the next half century William Gammie and his son, also William, took many of the old Turriff photographs which have survived, both in private collections and in the Aberdeenshire Archives. The elder William died in 1958 and his son, who took over the business, died without heirs. Gammie’s photos were used by other postcard publishers, certainly including George Geddes, and some of his cards are marked ‘G Geddes, Aberchirder / Photo by Gammie, Turriff’.
Garde & Loeb,
Frankfurt on Main, Germany.
- Kunstverlag Garde & Loeb, Frankfurt a. M.
Garde & Loeb, Frankfurt, published local picture post cards from 1897 and Gruss aus cards at least by 1898.
André J. Garrigues, Tunisia
- Photo Garrigues Tunis
André J. Garrigues was a French photographer active in Tunisia in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. He owned one of the leading photographic studios in Tunis and left many coloured postcards with the theme of the Orient. He photographed town view, portraits and nudes. A favourite subject were Jews especially women and the many pictures he left are cited as proof of Jewish and Arab coexistence along the shores of the Mediterranean7. Garrigues produced several series of tinted photographs in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, titling the subjects Bedouin when often they were Berber or other North Africans. These postcards catered to the Orientalist market for French postcards. According to Roger Benjamin and Cristina Ashjian, the Maison Garrigues fixed a good deal of the iconography of Tunisia, its people and its monuments in ways that influenced all of its successors especially the big Paris-based companies Neurdein Freres (qv) and Leon & Levy (qv). Rudolf Lehnert and Ernst Landrock took over his studio in Tunis in 190410.
This card: The Chapelle Saint-Louis de Carthage was a Roman Catholic church located in Carthage, Tunisia. It was built between 1840 and 1845 as a result of a donation of land by the Bey of Tunis to the King of France in 1830. The chapel was located atop Byrsa Hill, at the heart of the archaeological site of Carthage until it was destroyed in 1950. Source: wikipedia
Carl Garte, Leipzig, Germany
Carl Garte, lithgraphic fine art printer and publisher, Leipzig. Founded in 1874 as Glaser & Garte Kunstverlagshandlung in Leipzig, the original partners were bookseller Carl August Garte and the lithographer Louis Glaser (below). They traded from Plauenschen Platz (today: Richard-Wagner-Straße). Leporello (concertina) albums were sold with topographical views of landscapes, places and sights. In 1883 the first move to Ulrichsgasse (today: Seeburgstraße) took place under the new name ‘Carl August Garte, art publishing house, lithographic institution and printing house‘.
The Garte business started printing picture postcards soon after privately-issued cards were allowed in 1885. As well as their own cards, they also printed for export, not least for the Souvenir Post Card Company of New York. From 1889 they worked with the bookbindery and paper shop H. Metz in Tübingen. This business took over distribution in southern Germany and the neighbouring countries.
After Garte’s death, the business was continued by Anna Garte, his widow, and his son-in-law Erdmann Carl Heinrich Schulze. The business continued under various members of the family until 1944 when it was closed by order. Their buildings did not survive the war and, when their assets were taken over by the city of Leipzig, the Gartes received little compensation.
Garzini & Pezzini, Milan, Italy
- Garzini e Pezzini – Milano
- Garzini e Pezzini – Milano – 1905
Garzini & Pezzini, printer and postcard-publishing company at 6 Via Vivaio, Milan, founded in 1901 by Giuseppe Garzini, Cesare Pezzini, and Eugenio Colombo. The business were award-winning lithographers who reproduced fine graphic art, often museum pieces. Some of their postcards have the monogram initials GPM, which stands for Garzini Pezzini Milano11. By 1940 the business was Cesare Pezzini & Co, typography and linotype at 24 Corso Indipendenzia, in the hands of the widow Maria Garzini after the death of Cesare Pezzini.
- COPYRIGHT BY KATHERINE GASSAWAY and Katherine Gassaway in a lozenge
Katherine Gassaway Peirson, American artist who specialised in saccharine drawings of children. Both Gassaway and her husband, Baltimore born artist Alden Peirson, studied at the Art Students League in New York.12 and Gassaway added his name to hers. Their works were exhibited in alphabetical order in the first exhibition of independent artists held in New York in 1917 which boasted No Jury No Prizes Exhibits Hung in Alphabetical Order. Gassaway designed the frontispiece art work for The Dixie, magazine for August 189913 and The Edge, A novel By John Corbin in 1915. Her work featured in postcards published by Tucks (qv) Rotograph (qv), National Art Co (qv) and Ullman (qv). At least some of her claims to copyright had a foundation including Small boy and girl seated on Sofa looking askance at each other14.
Jean Geiser, Algeria
- J Geiser, Alger
Jean Théophile Geiser (7 April 1848 to 7 September 1923). Swiss-born Jean Geiser was a photographer in Algiers, now known mostly for postcards of his oriental and erotic photographs. Geiser’s parents moved to Algeria in the 1850s. He founded his photographic studio in Algiers in the late 1860s at 7 Rue Babazoun and took over the company of Alary & Geiser in 1874. Geiser’s studio became one of the best-known and most-successful photo-studios in Algeria, with a subsidiary in Blida. As well as studio photography, he covered all aspects of colonial photography on his travels throughout the country. His business flourished especially with the success of printed photo postcards, which got more and more popular at the end of the 19th century. In France he gained high reputation as a photographer of oriental and colonial subjects and won a gold medal at Amsterdam in 1892 and at the 1901 Exposition Internationale in Nice15. My card of a Jeune bedouine was postally used in Philippeville, Constantine in 1905.
Gems of Art Series
- GEMS OF ART SERIES COPYRIGHTED 1903 BY CHAS. WILLIAMS N.Y.
- GEMS OF ART SERIES G. Castiglione
Reproduction of works of art with this heading, orange labelling and style of back were issued without any publisher.
Chas Williams of New York and Italian artist Giuseppe Castiglione (qv) (1829 to 1908) were among the artists whose work was featured. Whisky-makers John Dewar & Sons, of Perth in Scotland put their name to a picture of the Duchess of Devonshire.
E. Genin, Sedan, Ardennes, France.
- Phot. Rossillon, chaussée de Balan, Sedan. Edit. E. Genin, Sedan.
E. Genin, publisher, Sedan published local topographicals, commonly photographs by local photographer Rossillon with a caption of historic information. Before the age of the postcard, Genin also published local topographical photographs in the carte de cabinet format.
Sedan is a commune in the Ardennes department and Grand Est region of north-eastern France. The battle of Sedan took place on 1 September 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War. The surrender of the city of Sedan – signed in Bellevue Palace, on the hills that surround the city – brought about the end of the Second Empire on 4 September 1870. Chaussée de Balan is a street leading to the neighbouring town of Balan.
In 1924, Genin published History of Sedanaise Drapery and Lace by Henry Rouy.
Rossillon’s studio work included photographs of soldiers of the 147th Infantry Regiment which was based in Sedan.
Genossenschafts-Buchdruckerei Luzern, Switzerland
I read this card as indicating that it was published by A Enz, publisher, Luzern and printed by Co-operative Book Printing, also Luzern which published the Lucerne Daily Gazette between 1897 and 1918. Negotiations for the sale of the co-op seem to have taken place between 1910 and 191618.
Giulio Genova , Venice
- Giulio Genova – Fotografie Acquerelli – Piazza S. Marco, 130, Venezia.
Giulio Genova, 130 Piazza S. Marco, Venice, photographer and watercolourist active until 1915. In 1870 he published a souvenir of Venice19 consisting of twenty hand-coloured photographs 4″ by 5″.
Georg Gerlach & Company Electro-Photographische Gesellschaft AG Berlin
Georg Gerlach, 81 Chauseestrasse. Berlin N, real photo card publisher and printer. In 1888, when GEORG GERLACH & CO. AG was at 42 Chausseestrasse, his catalogue of colour lithographs offered art prints GALLERY OLD AND MODERN MASTERS.
Gerlach published glamour photographs and photographs of celebrities from the Kaiser down. He seems to have used his own name and logos and the EPG name and logo fairly indiscriminately. Ross Postcards has a good showing of the first two thousand numbered series of photocards.
St Malo, Brittany, France
- Collection Germain fils aîné20, St-Malo21
- Collection Germain fils aîné, Saint-Malo.
- Collection Germain fils aîné, St-Malo Cliché22 Grégoire
- G.F. Collection Germain fils aîné, St-Malo
Auguste Charles Albert Germain (1868 to 1907) photographer and postcard publisher. Germain designed himself as the older son to distinguish himself from his half-brother, born from the remarriage of his father Sosthène Germain. When he died in 1907, his postcards were sold by his father, who ran a shop on rue Talard, between La Poissonnerie and the ramparts of Saint-Malo23. When Maurice Guérin succeeded to his father’s photographic business, he traded from rue Thévenard with the photographic plates of the family business, including those of Germain. All were destroyed during the bombings of August 194424.
German American Novelty Art Postcard Publishing Company
- GERMAN AMERICAN NOVELTY ART SERIES German American Novelty Art Postcard Publ. Co., A. Stroefer, New York
German American Art Postcard Publishing Company published series of animals and still-lifes on postcards into the divided-back era. Illustrators included Alf Schinian, Mary Golay, L. v. Senger, Austrian artist Hans Zatzka (1859 to 1945) and Splitgerber (qv).
This company seems to have been the commercial vehicle of August Stroefer (1882 to 5 October 1945) the son of important German publisher Theodor Stroefer.
In March 1908 Stroefer was party to an unsuccessful protest against a decision of the US authorities who had held that some postcards he was importing were liable to duty as lithographic prints as they had been described.
After Theodor died in 1927, August took over his father’s company in Nuremburg and moved to 3a Maxtorgraben in 1939. The business premises and the publishing archive were completely destroyed at the end of the Second World War. The art publisher was deleted from the commercial register in 1958.
German-American Postal Card Company
Cleveland, Ohio and Leipzig
- GERMAN-AMERICAN POSTAL CARD CO. CLEVELAND, OHIO AND LEIPZIG
German-American Postal Card Co. Cleveland, Ohio and Leipzig published local and wider-American topographicals and cards featuring decorated letters. In 1900 eleven percent of the population of Ohio (458,734) were foreign-born. Most of these immigrants came from Germany, Great Britain, and Ireland with a growing number of Eastern Europeans also migrating to the state. About 40,000 Cleveland residents were native-born Germans25. The 1897 book Cleveland, the Metropolis of Ohio recorded that
A large contingent of businessmen of Cleveland is formed of citizens of German birth and they are unexcelled in integrity, enterprise and public spirit.
These included hardware and stove dealers, jewellery manufacturers and retailers, a florist who owns ten greenhouses in South Euclid, an upholstery and bedding factory, a bicycle maker, a coal and building material dealer, a tanner, two bakeries, two confectioners, four tailors, three druggists, four grocers, a cabinetmaker, carriage and wagon makers, a roofer, a paint dealer, cigar maker, two distillers and brewers, a furniture dealer, a cloak and suit factory and an umbrella maker26.
Popular Mechanics Magazine in Dec 1910 carried an advertisement for the German-American Postcard Co., Dept. 50, Burlington, Iowa offering PICTURES AND POSTCARDS FOR ONLY 20c we will send you 50 fine postcards, 30 landscapes, best wishes and birthdays and 20 fine gold embossed Christmas and New Year’s cards. But in April 2019 the Cleveland Memory Project found nothing of them in the local papers or city directory.
P A Geurts, Nijmegen, Netherlands.
- Uitg. Blankwaardt & Schoonhoven. ‘s Hage, en W. de Haan, Utrecht PHOTOTYPE P. A. GEURTS NIJMEGEN
P A Geurts, book and art printers, Nijmegen. In 1865 Geurts printed the first issue of a new Dutch photography magazine whose publisher, the photographer Julius Schaarwächter paid for the printing.
In 1909 Geurts published Hunting with the Camera by Richard Tepe containing, as a contemporary reviewer said, excellent reproductions of bird photographs printed on beautiful, heavy art print paper. In 1920, Geurts published illustrated books of verses by Anna Sutorius, the Dutch children’s author and lyricist.
Geurts published local topographical photo-cards into the divided-back era, early on with lovely Art Nouveau framing.
G.B.V. Ghoni, Mumbai, India
- G.B.V. Ghoni, Bombay
Published tinted photographs of Indian people and major buildings. Their ethnographic content extended to “dancing” girls and victims of famine – there were major famines in India throughout the 1890s. Their cards were printed in Germany though this backing is clearly derivative of Valentine’s style.
Gibson & Son, Hexham, England
- Gibson & Son, Hexham, England
- PUBLISHED BY GIBSON & SON, HEXHAM.
John Pattison Gibson (4 January 1838 to 1912) his son John Gibson, and another photographer, Edgar G. Lee, built on the Gibson family pharmacy business in Hexham. Much of JP Gibson’s work is focused on archaeological sites and excavations, reflecting a deep interest in archaeology. He produced mainly glass plate negatives of excavations he undertook and produced and sold postcards to help fund them. At the Universal Exposition of Paris in 1889, the Fair for which the Eiffel Tower was completed as the entrance arch, Gibson was awarded the silver medal for landscape photographs of Northumbrian river scenery. The style of photography adopted by Gibson resulted in his photographs having the appearance of paintings. This style was developed around 1889 as the result of the furore that arose when artists complained that photography could not be an art form. Gibson’s photographs are works of art, and his techniques show how much thought and time went into their production. He used different cloud formations and skies to alter his works, and these were taken from separate cloud negatives that still exist in the collection. This was primarily done because the emulsions for the negatives were not able to capture the various extremes of light at the time. After Gibson’s death, the family shop continued to trade at Fore Street, Hexham. The shop closed in 1978 and was threatened with demolition. The Science Museum in London bought the fittings and shop front which are now on display there27.
This card: Cilurnum was a fort on Hadrian’s Wall now identified with the fort found at Chesters near the village of Walwick, Northumberland, England. It was built in 123 AD, just after the wall’s completion. Cilurnum is considered to be the best preserved Roman cavalry fort along Hadrian’s Wall.
Giesen Brothers & Company, London
- G. B & Co. London
- Giesen Bros. & Co. London, E.C.
Giesen Brothers & Company, 28 Monkwell Street, London EC. In 1902 Rotophot reached an arrangement whereby the photographs of British artists produced by Rotophot (qv) in Berlin went through Giesen Brothers to the UK28 and it is for this relationship that the company is best remembered. Their own trade mark Enamelette was registered in 1905. They published many cards of stars of the stage including photographs by Reinhold Thiele and Lyddell Sawyer (qv). Their embossed greeting cards were very fine. Willy Giesen left the company in 1909, and it was continued by Karl Giesen and Fitzgerald Wilkinson. Karl Giesen served as the president of the Postcard Publishers Association until it was dissolved in 191529.
- Edition Giletta, phot. Nice
Jean Gilletta, photographer, (1866 to 1933)30. Gilletta’s images of the Côte d’Azur from the end of the 19th century to the 1930s helped its establishment as a holiday destination. Famous for the photographic room firmly attached to his Dion Bouton tricycle, this landscape photographer (as he liked to describe himself) criss-crossed many sunny roads along the coast and climbed steep gradients of the Alpes-Maritimes to immortalize on glass plates scenes such as the arrival of President René Coty, the picking of the fragrant jasmine and an elegant crowd wandering around the periphery of a bay.
Leon A. Gladding,
New Britain, Connecticut, USA
- Made in Austria for Leon A. Gladding, New Britain, Conn.
Leon A. Gladding, garage31 owner, 123 Main Street, New Britain, Connecticut. In 1900 Gladding was a special constable32. Gladding is listed twice in the List of Registered Motor Vehicles in the State of Connecticut published on 8 August 1903. By 1907, he had three cars. In 1905 he closed out his sewing machine stock for lack of room33. Gladding was living in Hartford, Conn in 1920. As well as church work, Gladding was treasurer of the New Haven District Camp Ground Association34. In 192235, he was listed at 6 Chestnut Street. His son Leon James Gladding, who was born on 7 March 1878, played professional basketball for Chicopee in 1902-03 and Hartford in 1903-0436. In 1906, the year in which he married, LJ Gladding’s was one of many small businesses affected by a widespread failure of the electricity supply in New Britain37.
Louis Glaser, Leipzig, Germany
- autochrom Louis Glaser, Leipzig
- AUTO CHROM in palette logo and LOUIS GLASER, LEIPZIG
- LOUIS GLASER, LEIPZIG
- KUNSTANSTALT LOUIS GLASER, LEIPZIG.
- Louis Glaser, Leipzig.
- Trachten Postkarte No. 55. Lith. Druck u. Verlag v.Louis Glaser Leipzig
Louis Glaser in Leipzig was a printing company founded in the 19th century for books and prints as well as reproductions by means of chromolithography and photography. The Lithography Institute, and attached art publishing house had a telegram address Autochrom, Leipzig. It specialized, among other things, in the production of picture postcards and its seat was the factory and building complex 20 Kreuzstraße in the Graphisches Viertel in Leipzig38.
Wortley, Leeds, England
- GLEN, WORTLEY, LEEDS
- H. GRAHAM GLEN, WORTLEY, LEEDS
- H. G. Glen & Co., 20 Basinghall Street, Ball Lane, Leeds. “Glenco Series”
Originally from Torquay, Henry Graham Glen (1845 to 1910)40 of Wortley41, Leeds operated a photography business in Edinburgh followed by Belfast, and then Leeds where he had premises at 2a Commercial Street. In Leeds he started a printing & publishing business which primarily printed postcards and which was operated by two of his sons from 1905 to about 193542. Around 1900 Glen published Picturesque Views of Huddersfield, also titled The New Photographic View Album of Huddersfield, an undated collection of 20 photographs which appear to have been taken in the 1890s. The photographs are uncredited, but may have been taken by the publisher43. One of my Glen cards also bears the name Kopal (Koch & Palm).
Globus Verlag GMBH,
- GLOBUS VERLAG GMBH
- GLOBUS VERLAG G.M.B.H. BERLIN W.9
Globus-Verlag GmbH, publisher, 33 Voßstraße, Berlin W9. The company was registered by the commercial court in March 1898 with the registered capital of 100,000 marks shared between co-owners A. and George Wertheim. In May 1913, Wertheim bought the Vereinigte Kunstanstalten of Munich. Their postcards included photo-cards of A. Wertheim’s department store39.
This card: James Dinsdale was Manager of the Stockton branch of the York City & County Bank at 136 High Street in 1890 and still there when this card was sent to him there in 1903.
During the nineteenth century, the English provincial banking system transformed from a fragmented base of private firms into a sophisticated, integrated money transfer system dominated by joint-stock banks. York City & County Banking Co., one of the first joint-stock banks to be established in England. between 1830 and 1870; it serviced the agricultural communities and market towns of Yorkshire’s North and East Ridings. Over the late nineteenth century, York City became increasingly representative of the banking system as a whole as other provincial banks also began to initiate branch networks. the 1870s ushered in a period of transition and change. involved the bank directly in industrial finance, taking it for the first time into an investing rather than saving area. Amalgamation and consolidation Within fifty years, York City & County Bank grew from being a modest country bank to become one of the country’s largest provincial joint-stock concerns.
Another early local bank occupied 136 High Street in 1859, the Darlington and District Joint Stock Bank, which was taken over by York City & County Bank in 1884. It in turn was taken over by London Joint Stock Banking Company in 1909.
M. Glückstadt & Münden
- M. Glückstadt ü Münden, Hamburg
- eagle landing on a pedestal surmounting 31253 logo
M. Glückstadt & Münden was established in Hamburg in late 19th century and became a leading German postcard publisher until it fell victim to the Nazi oppression of Jewish businesses in 1939. The company was originally founded at 35 Wexstrasse, Hamburg by businessman Moritz Gluckstadt (1853 to 1921) dealing wholesale in “haberdashery, short and pipes goods”. In 1886 he married Rosa Munden (1868 to 1936) also from a Jewish family whio attended Elbstraßen Synagogue (now Neanderstraße). About 1903 Gluckstadt’s brother Daniel Munden (born 20 January 1866 in Hamburg) joined the publishing house, as a photographer with camera, tripod and magnesium flash. Their topographical cards extended to Jerusalem.
Ferdinand Gobbato, Venice
- Ferd. Gobbato, Editore, Venezia
- Ferd. Gobbato, Venezia
Ferdinand Gobbato edited Latest Practical Guide of Venice and its Isles with topographical plan which was published in 1908 in Venice by the Istituto Veneto di arti grafiche44 in English, Italian45 and German46. The Institute also published in 1910 and 1913. Watercolours produced and signed by artist Trevisan served as the basis for postcards in at least two series produced by Gobbato around 1905.
- GODTFURNEAU, Libraire. – – OSTENDE
Jean-Baptiste Godtfurneau, (18 November 1837 to 15 August 1914) bookseller, printer and publisher, 7 rue de Flandre47, Ostende. In 1863 Godtfurneau took over a well-established bookshop in Ostende together with (at least by 1868) a printing works which became Imprimerie Jean-Baptiste Godtfurneau. This was involved in the production of the liberal magazine La Flandre Maritime and the seasonal magazine La Chronique. Godtfurneau’s printing house was located at 1 Hofstraat. The newspapers disappeared in an 1870 bankruptcy but Godtfurneau remained active after this as a bookseller. He was also responsible for the publication of a number of tourist guides including one to Ostende and its environs in 187748, maps and picture postcards49. Godtfurneau’s postcards were of photographs by Neurdein (qv).
Emil Goetz, Luzern, Switzerland
- E. Goetz, Kunstverlag, Luzern.
- E. GOETZ, PHOT. LUZERN
- E. Goetz, Photogr., Luzern.
- E. Goetz, Luzern.
Emil Goetz or Götz (6 March 1869 to 6 September 1958) photographer, Luzern. Goetz learned his trade at C. Lichtenberger in Interlaken. After years of traveling in France and a stay in Paris, he settled in Lucerne in 1893, where he took over the photography business of Heinrich Pompeati-Baer and ran a postcard publishing house. W. Goetz was his business partner in postcard publishing50. Goetz also worked as a hiking photographer. Goetz employed a dozen people in the studio and publishing house. He was a member of the Swiss Photographic Association (SPhV) from 1919 to 1947. In 1947 he sold his business to Wilhelm Wyss51.
JL Goffart, Brussels
- Lith. J.L. Goffart, Brux.
JL Goffart, lithographer, 208 rue Masui, Schaerbeek. Brussels. Goffart chromolithographed illustrations for the long-lived French horticultural periodical Revue Horticole. Commercial and advertising output included Henri Privat-Livemont’s iconic art nouveau poster advertising Absinthe Robette in 1896. Goffart also printed materials for the 1897 Brussels International Exposition. In 1907, Zutphen, Schillemans & Van Belkum published a Dutch edition of Paardenrassen Kunstalbum, a portfolio of chromolithographed plates by Goffart based on paintings by Otto Eerelman (1839 to 1926) which depict different breeds of draft horses. Golike and Wilburg.
- Т-во Голике и Вильборгь
- Т-во Р. Голике и А. Вильборгь СГ. Б., ЗВЕНИГОРОДСКАЯ 11
R. Golike and A. Wilborg, printers and publishers, 11 Zvenigorodskaya, St Petersburg. This partnership published a series of cards bearing a logo including a red cross and reference to Princess Eugenia Maximilianovna of Leuchtenberg (1 April 1845 – 4 May 1925) who was instrumental in establishing the Red Cross in Russia in 186752. In 1907 they published an Inventory of the silverware kept in the furniture repositories of the imperial palaces Winter Palace, Anichkov Palace and Gatchino Castle; Edition of the Ministry of the House of HM the Emperor,written by Baron A. de Foelkersam. In 1911 Golike & Wilburg published an illustrated Guidebook to St. Petersburg. Despite their obvious links to the Czar, they survived the revolution and were still in a position in 1918 to publish the second edition of Book of the Marquises, an anthology of frivolous French texts of the XVIII century, illustrated erotic drawings by Russian artist Konstantin Somov. Each of the three editions had a different publisher and, while the first edition was in German, the second was in French and the third was the most frivolous53.
Zvenigorodskaya Street is a street dividing the Central and Admiralteisky districts of St. Petersburg. The even side is in the Central and the odd side in the Admiralteisky district. It runs from Zagorodny Avenue to Konstantin Zaslonov Street .
Julius Goldiner, Berlin
- Kunstverlag J. Goldiner, Berlin
Julius Goldiner (1852-1914) art publisher, Berlin C25, founded his publishing house for picture postcards around 1895. After his death, his wife, Auguste Goldiner (1856-1941) and his daughter Elisabeth (1879-1945) continued the business under the name of art publisher J. Goldiner and made it one of the great German postcards publishers. The enterprise existed until 197754.
Edouard Gonet, Saїda, Algeria
- F.A.5686 – Cliché Gonet, phot. Saїda
Edouard Gonet, (Born 18 August 1858) late nineteenth century portraitist, Saїda. Born in Saint Petersburg55, Gonet settled in Saïda in 1903 where he worked as a professional photographer and published his pictures in postcards56.
Gottschalk, Dreyfuss & Davis Company Limited, London
- G D & D L monogram in 6-pointed star
Gottschalk, Dreyfuss & Davis Company Limited, London, published their GD&DL Star Series of postcards in the early part of the 20th century. The company was based in New York.57, but also had offices in London and Munich and were active from about 1904 to 1915. They were at offices at 4 and 5 Bunhill Row in London from about 1906. Cards produced before 1906 by the company may well have been published by F. Frankel & Co of London (qv). The cards were printed by Graphia GmbH in Munich, not to a quality universally admired. One notable publication printed for them in Bavaria was The Star Album Containing 48 Post Cards (perforated for detaching) depicting in a lifelike manner Pioneers of British Labour faithfully reproduced from original photographs all being Members of the 1906 Parliament with a short biography of each. Alfred Davis is known to have been the artist on several of the artist-drawn postcards that they produced. Dreyfus left the partnership in 1914 after which point they were known simply as Gottschalk & Davis58. Their cards of South Africa were undivided-backs.
Gould Storage Battery Company Inc
- Gould Storage Battery Company, Inc.
Gould Storage Battery Company Inc, 250 Park Avenue, New York, makers of the famous Gould `Batteries for automobiles, submarines, railways, farm-lighting, vehicle and fire-alarm service. The company was founded by William S. Gould, a New York industrialist, who became President of the company. His son, of the same name, (12 September 1903 to 15 November 1964) continued it.
Gould patented batteries and improvements as early as 1901. In 1921 Gould filed a patent application for a battery container. In 1926 he patented a battery eliminator.
The company acquired patents developed between 1919 and 1928 by the Burrows Magnetic Equipment Corporation. The term Magnetic Analysis, was originated by Dr. Charles Burrows. He defined it as the investigation of the mechanical properties of a magnetic material exclusively through its magnetic properties. In 1917, Dr. Burrows presented a paper at the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) annual meeting entitled “Some applications of Magnetic Analysis to the Study of Steel Products”. The railroad industry, including the Pennsylvania and New York Central, already had an interest, but now other steel-related industries were taking notice. His paper also attracted the attention of the scientific community, and the idea of testing the quality of steel through its magnetic properties began to be taken seriously. Many individuals became inspired to develop a successful electromagnetic tester, and a flurry of patents would soon follow, including those of Dr. Burrows. Although successful laboratory experiments in electromagnetic testing began in the prior century, the application of electromagnetic test principles into viable equipment for the steel manufacturing industry remained elusive. In 1928 William S. Gould and William S. Gould Jr. founded Magnetic Analysis Corporation (MAC) in Long Island City, NY, to develop a group of patents for nondestructive electromagnetic testing of steel bars.
William S. Gould, 3rd (11 June 1932 to 14 March 2019) began working with his father at MAC in 1962 and became President and CEO upon the untimely death of his father of a heart attack, apparently while rowing a dinghy from his cruiser anchored in the Norwalk River in southwestern Connecticut.
Jacob Granat, Mexico City, Mexico
- J. Granat, Mexico
Jacob Granat was born in 1871 in Lemberg (today Lviv), a city in western Ukraine, then part of the Austrian empire. In 1900, at the invitation of his uncle Jacob Kalb, he moved to Veracruz in Mexico, and a year later to Mexico City. Granat became rapidly the curio king of the capital, selling luggage, post cards and other souvenirs from his shop in calle San Francisco, in the historical centre. In 1906 Granat sold his shop to purchase the old Borda Palace, where he opened the first cinema of the city, the famous Salon Rojo. Salon Rojo rapidly became the most luxurious and successful theatre in the city, and a centre of night life for Mexico’s rich and famous. It attracted politicians, notably Francisco Madero, who used to hold political meetings in Salon Rojo, and became a friend of Granat. In 1911, Madero was elected president. Madero was assassinated in February 1913.
In June 1912, Granat was one of the founders and the first president of Alianza Beneficencia Monte Sinai, the first Jewish charitable organization in Mexico. In the mid-1920’s, Granat sold the salon Rojo and moved back to Europe, settling in Austria. Granat was murdered by the Nazi regime at Auschwitz in 1943.
Granat was already printing postcards by 1901 as his uncles Jacob and Henry Kalb did. He edited about 200 postcards in two different formats and 14 or 15 series. The biggest series, consisting of at least 53 known postcards, is printed with blue or red captions. These circulated between 1904 and 1907.
Granbergs Konstindustri-Aktiebolags Forlag, Stockholm
- Granbergs Konstindustri-Aktiebolags Forlag, Stockholm
Granbergs Konstindustri Aktiebolags59 Förlag,, Stockholm (1890-1917). Hasse W. Tullberg founded his publishing house in Linköping in 1890, the same year as Sweden’s leading publisher of postcards Axel Eliasson(qv). They changed the name of the business to Granbergs Konstindustri AB towards the middle of the decade after they took over the business of Karl Gustaf Granberg. GKA began to publish postcards. In 1896 they began cards in colour lithography, and postcards in colour were a speciality in the 1910s. Granbergs also had significant operations in Russia and the Baltics that ended after the Russian Revolution in 191760.
Grand Bazar Anspach
- Grand Bazar Anspach Editeur, Bruxelles
Grand Bazar Anspach at 66 Bisschopsstraat / rue de l’Evêque, Brussels (1903 demolished 1935) was one of the department stores designed by the Belgian architect Victor Pierre Horta (1861 to 1947)61. John Julius Norwich described Horta as undoubtedly the key European Art Nouveau architect.
Grand Bazar Francais, Netherlands
- GRAND BAZAR FRANCAIS
On 11 March 1871, French merchant Zéphyrin Couvreur opened the Grand Bazar Français on Hoogstraat in Rotterdam. In 1876, his brother opened a branch at the Reguliersbreestraat in Amsterdam and a branch in Utrecht followed in 190162. In 1921 the business was renamed Galeries Modernes and its last branches closed in 198463.
Grand Bazar Liege, Belgium
- EDIT. GRAND BAZAR LIÉGE, PLACE SAINT-LAMBERT.
The Grand Bazaar was the flagship of the department stores of the city, which in its heyday had 3,000 employees64. Opened in 1885 by Auguste Tiriard, the store expanded over the years, from rue Maillart to Gérardrie. In 1951 the General Manager was François Capelle. Belgian architect Arthur Snyers designed their 1904 extension with a Venetian neo-Renaissance facade. The shop closed after bankruptcy on 26 June 1977. By November 1999 the building was in disrepair though it was subsequently restored behind the facade. The Maigret Encyclopedia records that Jef Lombard said the girl in the picture had married an inspector in the Grand Bazar.
Grand Hôtel du Louvre et de la Paix, Marseilles, France
- GRAND HÔTEL DU LOUVRE ET DE LA PAIX MARSEILLE
The “Grand Hôtel du Louvre et de la Paix” on the Canebière in Marseille is a fine building dating back to the Second Empire. Built by the architect Jean-Charles Pot, its facade is decorated with four massive caryatids manufactured by the Aix sculptor Hippolyte Ferrat. Each is holding an animal representing a continent: the sphinx for America, the elephant for Asia, the dromedary for Africa and the winged fish for Europe.
Echallier and Falquet opened the hotel on 15 August, 1863 and a whole new clientele flocked to the most prestigious and luxurious hotel in the city of Marseille as it competed with other hotels located on rue de Noailles (now the Canebière). However, the competition didn’t take it lying down; In July 1864, at the request of the owners of the Grand Hôtel de Marseille, the Marseille Commercial Court ordered, them to add on their balcony, after the words Grand Hôtel, those of the Louvre and Peace and to designate their hotel, in their prospectuses, cards and announcements, by the name of Grand Hôtel du Louvre et de la Paix, in order to avoid any confusion. An appeal was unsuccessful after which their advertisements warned:
Travellers intending to honour this Hotel with their patronage, are respectfully requested not to make use of the name “Grand Hotel” there is no hotel of that name in Marseilles.
It was still a success and soon after it opened, 100 additional rooms were added to the initial 150 rooms.
Echallier and Falquet still had their names on the letterhead when Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) and his family stayed there in July 1867. He wrote to his family:
My Dear Folks—I started to write to Lily Hitchcock of San Francisco, (she is in Paris) but this hotel is out of paper & I shall have to let her go by till some other time. I promised her & Etta Booth & Mrs Ferris & Mrs John B Winters & I don’t know how many more, to meet them at [my Paris hotel] yesterday morning at 9 when I knew perfectly well I would be on my way to Marseilles by that time. How the world is given to lying!To Jane Lampton Clemens and Family 12 July 1867
By at least 1884, the hotel was in the ownership of Swiss Paul Neuschwander (7 January 1846 to 26 September 1893). His letterhead emphasised the lift (Ascenceur hydraulique) available for those who didn’t fancy the stairs. His widow took over after his death. In 1895, she was advertising that it was the only one in Marseille with electric light in all the bedrooms. Mme Neuschwander remarried on 30 November 1895 to David Louis Echenard, (28 October 1849 to 1932) also Swiss, then maître d’ at the Savoy Hotel in London run by his compatriot César Ritz. After his marriage, Louis Echenard-Neuschwander became director and owner of the hotel, but retained an active role in the management of the Savoy Hotel in London.
The hotel closed in 1941 and was taken over by the French Navy with a gap in WWII when the German Navy occupied it. The building was bought in 1984 by the ready-to-wear brand C&A, which opened its store four years later after a sympathetic renovation. The building now houses city administration offices and the C&A store. The facade was restored in 2014.
This addressee: This card was sent to Arthur C Painter, a pupil at Spondon House School in Spondon near Derby in England by his father A F Painter.
The Reverend Thomas Gascoigne settled in Spondon, a rapidly expanding dormitory of the railway city, in 1854 and quickly established a school for the “sons of gentlemen”. The son of a cobbler, Gascoigne traced his roots back to the Norman Conquest. In the great theological divide of the nineteenth century, Gascoigne was firmly in the High Church camp, conducting something of a rivalry with the local Nonconformists, and insisting that a gentleman needed a Classical education. A very successful academic institution, Gascoigne ran a tight ship, enforcing discipline with enthusiast use of the cane. Spondon House seems to have existed in rather a social bubble behind its physical and moral walls, its headmaster was driven through the town by his liveried coachman.
Gascoigne’s daughter Lucy married the Reverend Edward Priestland in 1878. Priestland now oversaw the running of Spondon House while the Gascoignes stayed on as proprietors for many years. Priestland was something of a catalyst for change. He had a much more ecumenical outlook than his father-in-law and made it his business to open Spondon House to the community. In particular, he worked with the Headmaster of the local National school to break down the rivalry and social barriers that Gascoigne’s attitude of separate development had engendered to the benefit of neither. Priestland is recorded as punishing severely his own two sons when he found them referring to local boys as “cads”.
Source: Winchester House School
Robert Grant & Company,
Buenos Aires, Argentina
- R. GRANT & CO., CANGALLO 542
Robert Grant & Co., stationers, paper importers and merchants65, 542 Calle Cangallo, Buenos Aires. In 1871 Grant published The English in South America Omne Solum Forti Patria66. By 1892 Robert Grant was a member of the River Plate St Andrew’s Society which was open to all Scotsmen and their direct descendants67. From 1905 until at least 1920 the company published The English Address Book of British and North American Residents, Business Houses, Institutions, etc, in the Argentine Republic. The Buenos Aires Herald of Friday, 2 July 1915 reported on the rescheduling the Open Mixed Foursomes at San Andres which had been postponed on account of rain: further entries … can be made on the time-sheet at Mr Robert Grant’s library, 542 Cangallo, and intending competitors must attach their handicaps. By this time Mr Grant was a member of the British and American Aged and Infirm Fund Committee. My card features a tower described as a Gift to the Argentine Nation on the occasion of its First Centenary of Independence by the British Community. Assuming this to be a reference to the declaration in 1816, this undivided-back card was published well outwith the historic period.
Graphische Gesellschaft A.G., Berlin.
- Ausführung: Graphische Gesellschaft A.G., Berlin.
Art Printing Press Limited, Berlin, SW68. This publisher’s undivided-backs included a rich mix of German and Italian topographicals, ethnographicals of China and reproductions of art works in the Royal Painting Gallery in Dresden. They published an 1898 photograph of Prince Heinrich in Berlin.
Their divided-backs included silhouette postcards and photo-cards of the eastern front in WWI. The company was still producing the plates for books with a distinctly Jewish flavour and in the 1920s.
It printed Der Anbruch (the Dawn – A yearbook of new youth) an expressionist art journal. Expressionism is a modernist movement, initially in poetry and painting, originating in Germany at the beginning of the 20th century. Its typical trait is to present the world solely from a subjective perspective, distorting it radically for emotional effect in order to evoke moods or ideas.
The Association of Friends of the Museum of Prints and Drawings in Berlin use almost the same German title which they translate as the Society of the Graphic Arts.
Max Grauert, Brussels, Belgium
- Kunstverlag Max Grauert, Brüssel, 52 Montagne de la Cour 52
Max Grauert, 52 Montagne de la Cour, Brussels’ topographicals extended to the northern area of Pomerania that straddles modern Germany and Poland and its main city Stettin, then a major Prussian-German port and now the Polish city Szczecin. They published a series of harbour views of this area by the artist Eduard Krause-Wichmann (qv).
Zittau, Saxony, Germany
- Arthur Graun, Zittau
Arthur Graun merchant and gallery owner in Zittau, one of four men whose work was closely linked to the Zittauer culture and life in different ways in a special edition of the Zittauer Geschichtsblätter68. Owned Emil Oliva bookshop69 under which name he published History of the village of Leuba in the royal Saxon Oberlausitz According to archival sources, by P. Richard Doehler in 190770.
Joseph Greaves, Manchester
- The “Fylde” Series Published by Jos. Greaves, Manchester
Joseph Greaves, photographer, Manchester published English topographicals. His Ye olde Liverpool Series featured historic images of that city. Cards in the Fylde Series look to have been made by Valentines. Photocards were published in the Paragon Series into the divided-back era.
E. Grégoire, Brussels
- E.G. Depose
- E. Grégoire
- E.G. in corner of photograph
E. Grégoire published photocards in numbered series of Ypres, Waterloo and the environs of Brussels which suggests a relationship with Victor Gregoire. Their Series I had similarly-inspired cartoons.
Victor Grégoire, Brussels
- Ed. V.G., Bruxelles
- Ed. V.G., 42 avenue du midi, Bruxelles
Victor Gregoire, 42 Avenue du midi, Brussels. Published photo-cards of Belgium into the divided-back era.
M. Gregory, Oxted, Surrey, England
- M. Gregory, Oxted. Phototyped in Frankfort
M. Gregory, tobacconist, 101-103 Station Road, East Oxted, sold a good selection of local view postcards. They commissioned photocards of Oxted from Germany.
Walter Cox’s post office in Old Oxted sold his own series of postcards for many years and in Station Road West, J.B. Lock also published cards over a lengthy period. Gregory’s shop in Station Road East had a further series of local views and these were all supplemented by further views from the outside publishers such as Frith, W.H. Smith, Valentine and Homewood. Many of the early views were printed abroad but as the Edwardian era progressed, improvements were made in the quality of English production and some fine coloured and real photographic cards became readily available.Oxted in old picture postcards volume 2 Roger Packham
Wilhelm Greve, Berlin
- Wilhelm Greve, Postkarten-Verlag, Berlin SW
- Verlag Wilhelm Greve, Berlin
Verlag Wilhelm Greve, 50 Ritterstrasse in Kreuzberg, Berlin was described in the Berlin directory in 1902 as Book Printers Holding A Royal Warrant of Appointment; Geographic Institute; Book-, Stone- and Copper-printers; Chromographic- and Photo-Reproduction Art Company. Greve printed cards for Hollesen’s Huwaldschen Bookshop71 in Flensburg. They published a photocard of the 1932 airship flight from the Free City of Gdansk to South America. The company also boasted offices in London and Paris72.
This card: Woltersdorf is a municipality in the Oder-Spree district in Brandenburg. It is often referred to as near Berlin as there are a number of other places of the same name in Germany. About 1886 a touristic observation tower was built on top of the Kranichsberge giving great views from 105 metres, on clear days, including the Berlin Fernsehturm.
Woltersdorf Lock is a one-chamber lock with a weir connecting two lakes south-east of Berlin. In the spring of 1880, construction of the present lock began on the site of the previous weir. It was completed in December 1881, but could not yet be used. There was no technical reason for this, but it was not possible to agree on the day of a grand opening. Permission to use the new lock was only given after the lower gate in the old lock fell over in use so that the new lock went into operation on 8 May 1882 without an inauguration ceremony. Source: wikipedia
Adolf Grieder & Co, Zurich
- SEIDENSTOFF-FABRIK-UNION73 ADOLF GRIEDER & CO,, ZURICH, Schwanenplatz 7 liefern Seidenstoff jeder Art porto- und sollfrei. – Muster umgehend74.
Seiden-Grieder in Zürich, Switzerland was one of the leading fashion houses of the early 20th century. Founded by Adolf Grieder in 1889 it was famous for its clothes and accessories made from silk in the Wiener Werkstätte style75. Their advertising wording is a modest part of a view-card of Lucerne. The company is still in business as a retailer76.
P. Gritzmann, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- P. Gritzmann, Philadelphia, Pa.
P. Gritzmann, Philadelphia, published photocards of Philadelphia but there is no trace of him in the directories of the undivided-back period.
Neuwied, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Widow Gronemeyer, published undivided-backs of Neuwied. Ernst Gronemeyer’s name appears on both divided and undivided-backs. One explanation would be that this was the name of the lady’s husband and son and that she carried on the business between their times in charge. Another is that the same cards were reprinted as divided backs without revising the publisher’s name. Weißenthurm is a town on the left bank of the Rhine, opposite Neuwied. This card was printed by Trenkler.
Louis Gross, Nice
- L. Gross, Nice
Louis Gross, bookseller, 2 rue Maccarani, Nice featured in Wilhelm Junk’s 1906 International Directory of Second-band Booksellers. A. Hohberg is named as Gross’s successor in the Bibliographic Directory of French Literature of 191179 which identifies publishers in France, Belgium and Switzerland. My card also bears the wording St & Co. à D, indicating that it was produced by Stengel & Co in Dresden (qv).
A Guarneri, Milan, Italy
- esclus80 A Guarneri Milano STAB GALILEO MILANO
A Guarneri of Milan published photo-cards of Italian cathedrals in embossed frames and women in local costume, artwork of battle scenes and local topographicals. This one seems to have been printed by Galileo.
H.M. Guest, Klerksdorp Transvaal
- H.M. Guest, Publisher, Klerksdorp Transvaal
- H.M. Guest, Publisher, Klerksdorp-Transvaal
Herbert Melville Guest (29 January 1853 to 29 June 1938) was an author, newspaper owner and politician of the Transvaal. Guest arrived in the Cape Colony with his parents in 1861 and they settled in Grahamstown. His father worked for the Frontier Times and at the age of 13 young Guest was apprenticed to the Grahamstown Journal. In 1870 he moved to the diamond fields around Kimberley and joined the staff of the region’s first newspaper, the Diamond News, founded by the owners of the Grahamstown Journal and published at Pniel from 16 October that year. The next year, following the discovery of diamonds at Colesberg Kopje, he began prospecting with mixed success. After a few years he returned to Grahamstown to join his father in a printing, bookselling and stationer’s business. In 1889 he moved to Klerksdorp in Transvaal where he acquired The Representative newspaper and changed its name to the Klerksdorp Mining Record. He founded the Klerksdorp Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the first Hospital Board of Klerksdorp. In 1899, a few weeks before the outbreak of the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) he suspended publication of his newspaper for about a year and left the Transvaal with his family, though his printing works continued to operate. He returned to Klerksdorp with one of his sons in February 1901. He owned many claims in the neighbourhood of Klerksdorp and, by 1911 was mayor of the town. He was an expert rifle shot and won numerous trophies. During 1901-1902 Guest wrote and published several short works about the Anglo-Boer War, including Vicissitudes of a Transvaal dorp, Klerksdorp. Guest was one of three persons who supplied meteorological observations to the newly-created Meteorological Department of the Transvaal Colony in 1903 and was still one of the department’s observers at Klerksdorp in 190981.
H. Guggenheim & Company, Switzerland
- H. GUGGENHEIM & Co
- ARTIST. ATELIER H. GUGGENHEIM & CO., EDITEURS, ZURICH
- Artist. Atelier H. Guggenheim & Co., Editeurs, Zurich
- H.G. & Co. Z. A la Dégringolade Grand Bazar Genève
Founded by Hermann Guggenheim, Zurich publisher H. Guggenheim & Company was one of the earliest postcards publishers in Switzerland, active from 1893 to 1940. Around 1898, Guggenheim began photographing and visited Switzerland as well as the neighbouring countries to produce postcards from famous tourist places. After the death of Hermann Guggenheim in 1912, his two younger brothers Markus and Emil took the business on as Guggenheim & Co82. The book printer Leopold D. Guggenheim (1865 to 1940) who also published postcards did not come from the same family; He was active in Zurich from about 1898 to about 191683.
Bolzano, South Tyrol, Italy
- Photogr. Aufnahme u. Verlag v. J Gugler, Bozen.
- Verlag und Aufnahme J. Gugler, Bozen.
Josef Gugler (1824 to 1892) photographer, 22 Dominikaner Gasse, Bozen from the 1860s. Gugler produced local topographicals which, in the 1880s, he sold as numbered albumen silver prints. He is also noted for Bozen to Meraner railway views. Gugler produced studio portraits which he issued as cartes de visites. When postcards were produced from his work after his death, Bozen was part of the Austrian Empire, an important city in the Hapsburg County of Tyrol. After WWI, and the division of Tyrol, it became Bolzano.
- G. Modiano & Co. – Milano. Proprietà84 E. Guidorizzi and R. Guidorizzi within the image
R. Guidorizzi was a nineteenth century artist whose water-colours of the streetscapes of Sanremo were published by Modiano (qv) after his death on the authority of E. Guidorizzi.
H.E. Guy & Company, Malvern
- H.E. Guy & Co., Stationers and Fancy Warehouse, Church Street, Malvern
My card of Malvern was made by Stengel & Co of Dresden (qv).
Eugène Guyot, Troyes85, France
- E. Guyot, phot. – Vve Bertrand, Troyes
Born 24 March 1858, Eugène Théodore Guyots business was established in 186686. Guyot’s studio was located at 2, rue de la Paix. His cartes de cabinet boasted medals in competitions held in Troyes between 1883 and 1888. The widow Bertrand (qv) published a number of undivided backs of Guyot’s photographs of Troyes.
13Evening capital., August 31, 1899 Annapolis, Md
14Catalog of Copyright Entries: Library of Congress, Copyright Office., 1911
17 Publisher A Enz, Lucerne CO-OPERATIVE BOOK PRINTING LUZERN
19 RICORDO DI VENEZIA
21 A historic walled port city and commune in Brittany on the English Channel coastline of northwestern France.
29Picture Postcards and their Publishers Anthony Byatt 1978 Golden Age Postcard Books page 101
31ie automobile repair shop
32Hartford Courant Thursday 5 April 1900
33Sewing Machine Times 25 April 1905
34Hartford Courant Monday 25 July 1921
35 THE NEW ENGLAND BUSINESS DIRECTORY AND GAZETTEER
37Hartford Courant Monday 8 October 1906
41 Wortley (pronounced Wurt-lee) is a district of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It begins one mile to the west of the city centre.
44Venetian Institute of Graphic Arts
45Nuovissima guida pratica di Venezia e delle sue isole : con pianta topografica
46Neuester praktischer Führer durch Venedig und ihre Inseln mit einem topographischen Plan.
47 Vlaanderenstraat 7 (in 1914 Vlaanderenstraat 15)
48 Guide de l’étranger à Ostende et ses environs: Heyst, Blankenberghe, Middelkerke, Nieuport, La Panne, une journé à Bruges.
59 Granbergs Art Industry Company
61 Historical Dictionary of Brussels by Paul F. State
65 Kelly’s Merchants and Manufacturers of the World 1903
66To the brave Homeland
67The Standard newspaper, Buenos Aires, 29 December 1892
71 Huwald’sche Buchhandlung
74 [We]supply silk cloth of every kind, postage paid and free of tax. – Samples promptly sent.
77Owned and published by
78Witwe – widow
79 Répertoire bibliographique de la littérature française des origines à 1911
85 Troyes is a commune and the capital of the department of Aube in north-central France in existence since the Roman era. It is located on the Seine river about 150km (93 miles) southeast of Paris. This area is known as the Champagne region of Northern France.