Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
- H.H. Jackson, Bridgeport, Conn (Germany)
H.H. Jackson, Bookseller & Stationer, Bridgeport, Connecticut published local topographicals into the divided-back era. Divided backs were produced by the Rotograph Company (qv).
John Jacques junior
Broadway, Worcestershire, England
- J. JACQUES, JUNR., BROADWAY.
John Jacques junior, High Street, Broadway. Jacques lived in North Street, Broadway where he was recorded in the 1911 census as being a draper and clothier. His other interest was photography and he photographed the opening of the new reservoir at Broadway in 1897. He produced postcards with pictures of local families. He published local topographicals including black & white and tinted photocards of the North Cotswold Hounds into the divided-back era.
At the end of February 1915, whilst stationed at Worcester, Private W.C. Bailey of the 2/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment appealed via the Evesham Journal newspaper for funds to purchase a football for the Evesham lads in the battalion. By the first post the following day, the Evesham Journal had received a cheque in the sum of 8s 6d from John Jacques Jnr of Broadway and a football was immediately purchased. A couple of days later, Pte Bailey wrote the following letter of thanks:
“I beg you to accept on behalf of the Evesham and district lads in the 2nd 8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment our most hearty thanks for the part you have played in helping us to get a football. The ball arrived tonight and my mates and myself are very pleased with it. I have written to Mr Jacques by this post to thank him for his kindness though I am afraid I did not it very well for I am a very poor one at letter writing.”https://broadwayremembers.wordpress.com/tag/salisbury-plain/
Mrs Lee of Evesham who was staying in Llandudno at the time, sent in a cheque for 10s which was returned by the Evesham Journal with a thank you note stating if they received a further request for a football they would at once contact her.
In February 1917 Jacques had been driving for about ten years and had a clean driving licence when he was involved in an accident; when driving his four-seater Ford motor car he ran over a man who had been lying in the road.
Eisenach, Thuringia, Germany.
- Verlagsanstalt1 C. Jagemann, Eisenach.
Carl Jagemann, purveyor2 Eisenach. Cards were produced by LOUIS GLASER, LEIPZIG under the AUTOCHROM brand. Jagemann published local topographicals into the 1930s. He also published souvenir photographs of Eisenach and Wartburg in packets.
Carl Jander, Berlin
- Carl Jander, Berlin, C. fecit
Carl Jander, printer, 11a Hausvogteiplatz, Berlin, C. In business from 1900, Jander’s early work was quality printing including copper engravings of the Berlin area and artist-drawn portraits of classical composers. His work included postcards into the divided-back era. Such cards also exist in the name of Franz Jander in Berlin West 62 and 63. Later on, Carl seems to have specialised in embossing monograms in cloth, advertising All kinds of patterns of monograms in modern taste embossed in gold and colour. Carl Jander is listed as a jewish business liquidated in 1940 when he was at 48 Alexandrinenstrasse in the Kreuzberg district.
Jarrolds, Norfolk, England
- JARROLDS’ SERIES.
- Jarrolds’ Series.
In 1770 John Jarrold opened a grocers and drapers in the Market Place at Woodbridge in Suffolk. The start of the 19th century saw his entrepreneurial son John diversify from retail into farming and then into printing, chasing the most economically advantageous business of the time. Busy Norwich provided the ideal place to move the business to in 1823. John Jarrold II set up as a bookseller, publisher and printer. Offices were opened in London and new printing works were built in about 1860. An ardent enthusiast of the Temperance movement and a subscriber to Norwich City Mission, John Jarrold II gave addresses to the public, seeking practical support and spiritual comfort for the poor. By the early part of the 20th century, Jarrold had developed into a substantial retail business, with other branches opening in different parts of Norfolk. When Clement Scott, a widely-read journalist and theatre critic, coined the expression Poppyland, East Anglia quickly became a popular summer resort. The company responded by publishing a series of guide books and postcards – topographicals of the UK far beyond Norfolk. Picture Postcard Annual 2020 records a card, a view of Cromer, postmarked 18 August 1900. In 2005 the company decided to concentrate on retail and property, and sold its printing and publishing arms. Jarrold continues to be one of the most familiar business names in East Anglia with eight stores in Norfolk. The John Jarrold Printing Museum opened at Whitefriars in 1982 and continues as a working museum today3.
This card: George Parson Norman (1840 to 27 September 1914) seems to have gradually hyphenated his name to Parsons-Norman. He was a landscape and coastal painter and, as Parsons Norman, a member of Ipswich Fine Art Club from 1874 until his death, exhibiting from his studio at Old Bank House, London Road, Lowestoft in 1881. In 1882 he had on show his Royal Academy exhibit ‘On the Waveney, by Beccles’ Many of his pictures featured on local holiday postcards and were used for many years and he published three books of his paintings ‘Poppyland’ and ‘Broadland’ No. 1 and No. 2. Source: Suffolk Artists
J. Jedlička, Prague
- J. Jedlicka, Prag
Jan Jedlička was a printer in Prague by 1838 and the first to trade in printer’s ink. F. J. Jedlička was a publisher and the owner of a graphic workshop in Wassergasse, Prague. Jedlička was the most prolific publisher of Prague picture postcards after the Bellmann Company. Both companies published some entirely identical shots suggesting that the same photographer was involved. The paper and the toning of Jedlička’s phototype picture postcards are mostly identical toning to the products of the L. J. Čech Company. When Jedlička numbered his products, he used the same principle as Bellmann. Later on, he marked his picture postcards with a small fir tree (the literal meaning of his surname). The company also published picture postcards executed by other printing techniques such as by four-colour autotype. Jedlička was the leading publisher of historical postcards including the numbered series Gallerie Belvedere as well as richly-annotated unnumbered cards.
Source: Old Prague.com
A. H. John
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- A. H. John’s Kunstverlag, Frankfurt a M.
- Verlag von A. H. John, Frankfurt a/M.
A H John, printer and art publisher, Frankfurt. In 1892 John published a street map and guide of Frankfurt retailing at 20 pfennig. By 1897 he was engaged in postcard publication – German topographical lithographs in the multi-image Gruss Aus style. In 1899, 150 years after the writer’s birth, he published a Goethe commemorative. In 1901 his topographicals included coloured passepartout (frame effect) embossed cards. Lithographs of artist-signed etchings of old Frankfurt were printed by B Fischer junior of Berlin. Later, they were published as divided-backs in the name of John’s succcessors in the business.
H. Johnson and Nephew,
- H. Johnson and Nephew, Cambridge
H. Johnson and Nephew, booksellers, Cambridge operated a shop in St Andrew’s Street. They published a series of monochrome images of Cambridge colleges in cloud with the crest of the college in a colour. Cards in the same series also appeared without any maker identifier.
This card: The Victorian Chapel of St John’s College is an iconic feature of the Cambridge skyline dating from 1869. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, the great Gothic Revival architect, the building replaced a relatively modest Tudor chapel which was itself a rebuilding of that of the 13th century Hospital of St John which predated the College’s foundation in 1511. When it was built, the Chapel was the tallest building in Cambridge, towering over the city at 164ft high.
The Chapel was not originally intended to have a tower but alumnus Henry Hoare (1807 to 1866) offered to pay for cost of adding one to the designs and the College accepted. However, a few years after he promised the money to St John’s, Hoare was killed in a railway incident – having only paid £2,000 towards the £6,100 he had promised. Hoare was a partner in the family bank but he had twelve children and the estate did not honour his promise. This left the College with an unanticipated cost, one of the reasons the Chapel has a bell tower but no bells.
Source: St John’s College; wikipedia
Ralph W. Johnston, Pittsburgh, PA
- R.W. Johnston Photo
Ralph W. Johnston (1873 to 1962), portrait and architecture photographer, Pittsburgh. Johnston was seventeen years old when he was employed to travel by horse and buggy to farms and towns in the Pittsburgh area to make photographs, which sold at a dollar each. He opened Trinity Court Studio on the seventh floor of the Granite Building at 313 Sixth Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh in 1897. He was the first photographer in Pittsburgh to use flashbulbs which enabled him to make high-quality, detailed prints. The Heinz family and other wealthy clients in Pittsburgh commissioned Johnston to make one-of-a-kind photograph albums that depicted their lives. His other commissions included making the Carnegie Institute Founders Day group photographs and taking photographs of events in wealthy family lives, such as the Helen Clay Frick debut4. He was also noted for his photography work for local sports teams including the Pittsburgh Pirates for whom he produced panoramic three-panel postcards. Two of my cards of Pittsburg published by A. C. Bosselman & Co (qv) credit R. W. Johnston for the photographs.
W. & A.K. Johnston Limited, Edinburgh
- W. & A.K. JOHNSTON, EDINR (LTD)
- W & AK JOHNSTON LD EDINR
- W. & A.K. Johnston Limited, Edinburgh & London
W. & A.K. Johnston, Edinburgh was one of the major publishing houses of the 19th century. Co-founders, brothers William and Alexander Keith (1804-1871) Johnston, started out as apprentices to the Scottish globe-maker and publisher James Kirkwood in his Edinburgh workshop. Having learned their trade there, they set up their own business in 1825, also in the city. The Johnstons very astutely acquired the established Scottish printing publishing house of William Lizars, and began, at first printing by contract, and slowly expanding their repertoire into not only maps, but also atlases, gazetteers, guide books, globes and much more. In amongst the brothers’ many achievements, and one of their major claims, was that of the first physical globe, which won them a number of awards at the Great Exhibition of 1851. The globe-making element of the business continued well into the 20th century on both sides of the Atlantic. The business continued to function under the Johnston name until the 1960s5. Their postcard production started in the court-size era when they produced lithographs for the trade. An advertisement in the 1901 Post Office Directory for Edinburgh described them as Chromolithographers, Art Printers, Engravers and Geographers to the King and was liberally decorated with medals they had won.
Johnston’s Art Stores, Niagara Falls, N.Y., USA
- JOHNSTON’S ART STORES, NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. J&Co monogram between POST and CARD
Johnston’s Art Stores, Niagara Falls, published cards of illustrations of the St Louis Fair in 1904 and topographicals of tourist sights as far away as California and cartoons into the divided-back era.
Johnston & Hoffmann, Kolkata
- “Photo Johnston & Hoffmann”
Johnston & Hoffmann, photographers, India. Theodore Julius Hoffmann and P.A. Johnston established their Calcutta Studio in 1882 and one in Darjeeling in 1890. Hoffmann took over the business on the death of Johnston in 1891. A studio was opened in Rangoon, Burma sometime around 1890 and a Simla branch in the mid 1890s. Hoffmann joined John Claude White in July 1891 on a trip to Tibet and later published White‘s photographs. The company closed in the 1950s. Johnston and Hoffmann were commercial photographers in India with a large catalogue of views of north and northeastern India, Sikkim and Nepal. They were probably the second largest, after Bourne and Shepherd (qv)6. Their postcards included photographs of the important buildings and people of the day. So many of their photographs of the stars of the London stage were published as cards by Tucks, Rotary and others that it is widely conjectured that they had a presence in London. Also famous is the volume of types produced during the 1880s. Commissioned by L.A. Waddell to do portraits of types of natives of Nepal, Sikhim and Tibet, it is thought that Johnston & Hoffmann produced the work in a Darjeeling studio. The resulting volume of portraits shows 30 people in fullface and in profile, with written descriptions of type, clothing, and whether or not the type and clothing were typical.
This card: Raj Bhavan is the official residence of the Governor of West Bengal, located in Kolkata, the capital of the Indian state of West Bengal. Built in 1803, it was known as Government House before the Indian independence. After the transfer of power from the East India Company to the British Crown in 1858, it became the official residence of the Viceroy of India, moving here from the Belvedere Estate. With the shifting of the British Indian capital from then Calcutta to Delhi in 1911, it became the official residence of Lieutenant Governor of Bengal. Since independence in 1947 it serves as the official residence of the Governor of West Bengal and came to be known as the Raj Bhavan, a name it shares with the official residences of other states’ governors. Source: wikipedia
- BAYARD. JONES. in rectangular losenge within the picture
Bayard Jones (1869 to 1969) American visual artist who produced cartoons and covers for Life magazine in the first years of the twentieth century. Life Publishing Co in turn seem to have sold the postcard rights to Detroit Publishing Co (qv). All three are credited on my card.
Tom Jones, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
- TOM JONES, PUB. CIN. O.
Tom Jones published topographical photocards of across the USA including Alabama, Kentucky, Indiana, Georgia, Texas, New York and Minnesota as well as Ohio into the divided-back era.
Notably, Jones published photographs by Frank Trost (1868 to 1944) the Gusher Photographer. Trost became famous for his views of Texas oilfield fires, derrick scenes, and other gushers many of which were produced as postcards.
One of Jones’ customers was Robert Runyon (1881 to 1968) known to historians for his unique and extensive photographic record of the Mexican Revolution and the many bandit raids and other conflicts that occurred along the border between the United States and Mexico from 1913 to 1916. An amateur photographer since 1907, Runyon began to use this skill to make money by selling his own postcards along with others at the shop he managed as early as 1910. As the Drygoods Economist had noted in 1906, “The line [of postal cards] is a good one for the retailer because of the small amount of space necessary for them and, further, because they bear a good profit.” After engaging in an extensive correspondence and self-instruction program to learn about the postcard business, Runyon contacted Jones and began ordering postcards from his own negatives. As of 6 March 1911, he had a standing order of over ten thousand of these cards for his employer. From 17 December 1910 to 11 November 1911, Runyon’s records show receipt of 37,500 postcards from Jones.
In March 1911 Jones wrote to Runyon, “I should judge that things are getting pretty warm in your neighborhood. If the soldier boys get to Brownsville, you will surely need Souvenir Cards and so forth. Get their money.” This he would soon do, but with cards he printed himself and colour cards of his images mass-produced by Curt Teich and Company of Chicago, rather than those ordered from Jones.
The Tom Jones Publishing Company and Tom Jones Art Publishing Company also seem to have existed.
Sources: From Commerce to History: Robert Runyon ‘s Postcards of the Lower Rio Grande Valley and Brownsville, 1910-1926 Linda Peterson Volume CII, No. 2 Southwestern Historical Quarterly, October 1998; Petroleum History
J. Murray Jordan,
Philadelphia, PA, USA
- J. MURRAY JORDAN,PUBLISHER 1438 SO. PENN SQ., PHILADELPHIA
- Copyright 1906 J. Murray Jordan J. MURRAY JORDAN,PUBLISHER 1438 SO. PENN SQ., PHILADELPHIA
J. Murray Jordan, (1861 to 1909) publisher, 1438 South Penn Square, Philadelphia, was a noted photographer and publisher active during the late 19th and early 20th centuries in Philadelphia and the West Indies. He went on to publish and print postcards, mostly views of America’s eastern regions. He also issued cards depicting the Panama Canal. Jordan founded the World Post Card Company in 1903. He first took up photography as a medical student at the University of Pennsylvania in the early 1880s, actively exhibiting pictures in the renowned annual salon organized by the Philadelphia Photographic Society. He completed medical school in 1883, but later that year he secured a position as a news photographer for New York Daily Graphic, and embarked upon what would become a quarter century of active travel photography. His journeys, both commissioned by news agencies and patrons and initiated by his own curiosity and sense of adventure, remained frequent and, although he stayed listed in the Philadelphia city directories as a physician off and on up to 1900, he eventually abandoned his medical practice altogether. Between 1885-1909 he travelled extensively, 8 x 10 view camera in hand, to Florida, Mexico, Cuba, St. Thomas, Martinique, St. Lucia, Jamaica, Trinidad and other destinations in and around the Caribbean. Of particular historical interest are his widely-published pictures from Martinique, where he witnessed the disastrous eruption of Mount Pelée in 1902. Murray’s curiosity about developments in photographic technology appears as strong as his wanderlust. In the 1880s, he wrote enthusiastically in photographic journals about the then-novel camera viewfinder and roll paper film, as well as scientific applications for instantaneous dry plate photography. By the mid-1890s, Jordan had established a publishing house adjacent to Philadelphia’s City Hall. He sold photographic postcards and dozens of mass-printed photographic booklets designed for the tourist market. His photographs from the West Indies were printed as postcards and booklets; so too were sets of images, most if not all taken by Murray himself, across more than a dozen states. His publishing house also produced humorous postcards that parodied love, marriage, and modern society, halftone colour and black-and-white folding panoramic postcards of urban and rural views. On 23 January 1909 Murray sailed from New York on the steamship Oceana for yet another tour of West Indian ports. Sometime after his return, on 19 May, he died at home, the cause of death certified as alcoholism-delirium tremens7.
This card: The Bellevue-Stratford Hotel is a landmark building at 200 S. Broad Street at the corner of Walnut Street in Center City, Philadelphia, . Constructed in 1904 and expanded to its present size in 1912, it has continued as a well-known institution for more than a century and is still widely known by its original name. In 1988 the building was converted to a mixed-use development. It has been known since then as The Bellevue. The hotel portion is currently managed by Hyatt as The Bellevue Hotel.
Opening in 1904 after two years in the making and costing over $8,000,000, the Bellevue-Stratford was described at the time as the most luxurious hotel in the nation and perhaps the most spectacular hotel building in the world. It had hundreds of guest suites in a variety of styles, the most magnificent ballroom in the United States, delicate lighting fixtures designed by Thomas Edison, stained and leaded glass embellishments in the form of transoms and Venetian windows and sky-lights by Alfred Godwin, and the most celebrated marble and hand-worked iron elliptical staircase in the city. In 1912 a large extension to the west brought it up to a reputed 1,090 guest rooms, and added top-floor domed function rooms.
The hotel gained worldwide notoriety in July 1976, when it hosted a statewide convention of the American Legion. Soon after, a pneumonia-like disease killed 29 people and made ill 182 more who had been in the hotel. The vast majority were members of the convention. The negative publicity associated with what became known as Legionnaires’ Disease caused occupancy at the Bellevue-Stratford to plummet to 4 percent and the hotel closed on 18 November 1976. Source: wikipedia Another card here
Jullien Freres, Geneva8
- Jullien freres, editeurs-photographes, Geneve
Louis II and Frank Jullien9, photographers and publishers of topographical cards in Geneva. A bookshop still today at 32, Place du Bourg-de-Four is a business started there in 1839 by Elisabeth Jullien-Favre and her sons Louis and John. Gradually she moved from haberdashery to bookstore. Today Librairie A Jullien belongs to the eighth generation of Julliens, refugees in Geneva since 1748. The publishing house Jullien Frères grew out of the bookstore. John Jullien published books in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries10. The photographic studio of Jullien Frères at the corner of the rue des Bains and the Vieux-Grenadiers became one of the leading Geneva publishers of postcards between 1900 and 1928 and the quality of their images covering Geneva and the surrounding areas is still recognized today. Another interesting card here.
Antonio Jurizza, Bologna, Italy
- Antonio Jurizza, Bologna, Italy
- Antonio Jurizza, Bologna
- Antonio Jurizza – Bologna.
Antonio Jurizza, Bologna, Italy published very fine photographs as local topographicals. Published into the divided-back era when he was at 2 piazza Caprara.
Friedrich W. Juxberg
Frankfurt on Main, Hesse, Germany
- Fr. W. Juxberg, Kunstverlag, Frankfurt a. M.
Friedrich W. Juxberg, art publisher, Frankfurt, was very early on the picture postcard scene with cards postally used in 1897. His undivided backs were often paintings of a good range of Germany and Netherlands but also extended to his Aquarell- Sport series and the Kunstler-Postkarte series which featured sentimental pictures. His Gruss von den Wagner-Festspielen series were artistic images of the Beyreuth Festival by Michael Echter, (1812 to 1879). Like many of the others, his Liederpostkarte series was also marked with a shield with the initials FW above J. There is little sign of him having published postcards into the divided back era.
In 1884 Juxberg complained to the Baden-Württemberg authorities about double taxation of his business activity in Stuttgart – Frankfurt is in a different state from Stuttgart.
2Hoflieferant abbreviated by him to Hofl.